Thursday 20 January 2011

First race away from home

To pick up from my lengthy comment in reply to keliss (last post).
In December, Zac had a race in Wales. Mum was not happy that we would be away for 2 nights.
Friday was just a practice day at Zac's local club. In the afternoon I got a call from his mum asking me to bring him home that day. Apparently, she'd received a letter from the school that day, saying Zac had been excluded for a couple of days. She wanted to withdraw him from the race meeting in Wales that weekend. Persuaded her, or maybe told her, noway, hotels are booked, there's also a cost for withdrawal.
So he went to Wales, but the weekend was just phone call after phone call. "I'm being put in a position where I can't discipline my own son". It really got my back up. If that's how you feel, you shouldn't agreed to it in the first place. Discipline? bollocks. She let's me handle it when it suits her, and over-reacts when she wants to be seen to be a parent. The number of times I've heard her tell her friends that decisions I've made have actually been her decisions pisses me off.
Frankly, she is all too keen to withdraw karting from Zac for her own reasons.
Sorry, Donna, but since I'm the only one paying for this activity, I'm the only one who can withdraw it for disciplinary reasons, without discussion. And I have done in the past. I've withdrawn Zac from a race, and taken away some of his practice days. Zac doesn't like it, but at least he will talk to me. I'm not sure he always appreciates the reasons, but he does accept it.
And we still talk.

Luv, Baz

3 comments:

lazyboy43 said...

So in other words, She wants YOU to provide this activity for her son (that's apparently doing wonders for him,) she's perfectly okay with YOU spending time with him but not herself, heaven forbid, and when she stamps her foot, she wants YOU to be the heavy and remove privileges that she's not paying for in the first place, even when it'll cause financial hardship for you.

Or, simply put...

She wants all of the parental power, but none of the parental or financial responsibilities.

Nice.

Seth said...

Hi! It's Sethboyardee here. Sorry to be rude and drop this comment here a bit selfish of me, and completely off subject - but I've recently returned to blog land after being killed by Google and was hoping you could mention me, follow me, and especially link to me.

sethboyardee2.blogspot.com

Thanks!!!

Also I will be rebuilding my link list so let me know if I can reciproacte. Thanks again!!

Have a good one!

lazyboy43 said...

Hmm...

It's been months. You still around?