Tuesday 17 August 2010

Some thoughts on your comments

Rather than comment on your comments on previous posts, thought I'd write a longer post, maybe with some background about the Boy Wonder.
First, though, thank you all for your positive and helpful comments. They are a great help.
There has been progress over the last 6 months, but massive changes in the last week. He's adapted really well to not having Mum around to whinge to!
Micky, you commented about him being 15 and actually talks to me - blessed?, sometimes maybe cursed!, but at least he does talk. I doubt also that he will run out of reasons to keep in contact!

The first week has gone really well, far better than I expected. I'm wondering now whether (politically incorrect, but wtf) Mum is the nigger in the woodpile. Life with the Boy Wonder is so much more pleasant and amicable whilst she's not around. Is that such a terrible thought?

So, a bit of background - the three of us live in a 1 bedroomed bungalow, so we are very cramped - no one has their own space - except Mum, who occupies the bedroom - she has some level of physical disability, and tends to stay in bed much of the time. So that's us now.

The Boy Wonder was adopted (legally) by his Nan and step dad when he was about 4. They are loaded with money, and my impression is that they threw money at him, bought what he wanted, when he wanted it, to get him out of their hair. In short, he became a spoilt brat.
Don't get me wrong, I've been able to "throw" money at him, but the difference is I've paid for him to do activities, but I've spent time doing those activities with him, not just dropping him off, and then picking him up.

Last Christmas, he voted with his feet and came to live with his Mum ( and me). It's not been easy. He does have an anger management problem, which is why he's got a referral for mental health issues. At least he recognises the problem. And at least he does talk to me!
If I had a pound for ever time he's had a row with his Mum,, and asked me to "broker a peace deal", I'd be rich.

Other issues, you've commented on - hugs & cuddles. Just, you are so right, we all NEED them, and yes I have read your posts on this topic. It will take time with Wonder Boy - there is some evidence of violence from his step dad. For me to hug him is difficult - he needs to be in control. Don't get me wrong, he will happily throw his arms around me (but he's in control at that point), but the other way round - well, maybe that will come.

That's about it, thanks again for all your support,
Luv 2 all
Baz

PS. Just re-read a comment. Maybe it is a holiday for him. Micky. Certainly a different experience!

3 comments:

lazyboy43 said...

Hmm... Wouldn't be the first time a parent's personality clashed with that of their child's and they were unaware they were at the root of the problem. I see that one all the time.

Good that they have you to broker peace. It would be interesting to see if there's another, "clash of the titans," after she gets back home.

Just said...

Yes maybe that will come... at least your giving him a foundation to build it from!!!

lazyboy43 said...

It's been almost 2 months... did you die?